Trade Me Reviews

Updated 24 Apr 2021

3.2
Trade Me CEO Anders Skoe
Anders Skoe
Pros
  • "Very flexible working and great people(in 15 reviews)

• "Can be a positive atmosphere, great perks - free lunches/dinners, excellent work functions, good mix of staff members(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "The restructure after COVID-19 was awful(in 5 reviews)

• "The flat and somewhat loose structure can mean career progression is tricky(in 3 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. COVID-19

"Chill"

5.0
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Trade Me full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay/bonus is fair (at least at the junior to intermediate level), and 5 weeks off a year is nice. You have a ton of freedom and input, management are very trusting. Chill laid back environment with few deadlines, can work from home. Personal learning time is a half a day off every week, in which you can work on personal projects/learn new languages.

Cons

The COVID restructure was quite stressful, but the company found it's footing again pretty quickly afterwards

2. "Don't bother if you're a Tester"

Former Employee - Test Analyst

I worked at Trade Me full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A loved Kiwi company. A great place to start a career in IT as a Junior.

Cons

No importance placed on quality roles. Slowly weeding out Test Analysts and expecting other Engineering roles to pick up the slack.

3. COVID-19

"Good place, but not easy to fit in; fake promises & company politics"

Former Employee - Senior Product Designer in Auckland, Auckland
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Trade Me full-time

Pros

- laid back atmosphere - some opportunity for growth - acceptable salary - good work / life balance - a good place to learn and grow professionally - culture is not bad

Cons

- depending which team are you on, will determine your overall happiness, some teams are very welcoming and easy to work with, others can have more careless arrogant vibe, which creates additional pressure on you to 'fit in'. - company politics is present - some departments are hard to fit into, apart from couple of people, nobody really cares who you are, what you do, unless they need something from you. - if you know the right people and are likeable, you probably will go far, otherwise not - culture is not as great, as it used to be - really bad collaboration / communication with other departments / verticals Overall, even that I had a great time and learned a lot, unfortunately being part of the restructure process and COVID situation, I witnessed a hidden ugly side of this company. They say they care about you, but that is not really true. They make you redundant due to COVID (and only COVID as per management words), and promise to keep in touch and keep you in mind, when new opportunities come up, but then advertise for your position and never get in touch. Either you're not getting a truthful feedback, or they don't keep their promises.

Trade Me Response

December 1, 2020Talent Acquisition Team

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We recognise the situation which arose from COVID and the resulting restructure were tough on everyone. We have taken on your feedback around keeping in touch regarding future opportunities and I am sorry you felt our communication wasn’t clear. We are always striving to continue to provide a great experience for our people when they come into work every day and we are pleased you felt the work life balance and professional growth opportunities were available to you.

"Not the company it was. Too many toxic people. Poor leadership."

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Product Designer in Wellington, Wellington

I worked at Trade Me full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Iconic brand which will open doors in future roles - Nice offices in a good part of town - Casual environment with some fun perks. Foosball, pool table, barista coffee machines, communal pantry items, slides - Work life balance - Performance bonus (salary isn't the best though) - Get to work with some passionate and smart people - Some interesting projects - Free lunch on pay day.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are many. Trade Me has gone significantly down hill, especially in the last two years. The cool startup, Kiwi Google vibe is a thin veneer covering up some harsh realities. Poor leadership The last year has been super tough for staff. A drawn out restructure resulting in many redundancies. Management put the staff through the ringer and causing a lot of unnecessary stress and unhappiness. Making matters worse, people had to reapply for their roles in competition with their peers and management made some poor choices as to who got those roles. Some managers play favourites. You'll get the opportunities if you play the game and are drinking buddies with the decision makers. Too many incompetent people mangers who have graduated into the role internally and don't have people skills or experience. They avoid dealing with difficult issues or make poor decisions. Bullying Yes, it exists across the business. The concern is that I was aware of a senior leader who worked hard to inform the CEO/business of the breadth of bullying in the organisation. Lip service from management was that they wouldn't tolerate it, but nothing happened. It was brushed under the carpet. Cliques The general theme is that you're either in the crowd or you're not. I can't speak to what this is like in other departments but as for design it was rife. There are some great designers at TM; good people, but overall Design is very cliquey. Too many are toxic who gossip and mock in groups. It's like high-school; very childish and ugly. Design has a bad reputation in the rest of the business because of these attitudes. Illusion of choice Processes are pitched as being fair and offering you options to do x or y. Choose your preference so we're all happy. It doesn't play out like that. Design is not respected Depending who your manager is will dictate your happiness. If they value design you're sweet. Many managers don't and it's miserable. A 'dev is King' mentality and they perpetuate a 'it's OK to undermine or ignore design requirements and recommendations' approach. Pandering to devs with a blinkered view that velocity alone equals success.

5. COVID-19

"It's okay. But I've had better"

2.0
    Former Employee - Insight Analyst

I worked at Trade Me full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Awesome people. - Great work events and office activities. From reading other reviews, not everyone feels it.. but I did love the little community that the events and the office activities created. - Nice working for NZ brand, that is well known and generally liked by the public. - In general, I would recommend the company. I think it is a good place to work.

Cons

- Profit over customers. Profit over user experience. - Too much work for number of employees. - Bad pay. Factoring in experience level, I got paid better at the tech company I came from and moved to. - Losing customers to Facebook, Oneroof ect ect. - The restructure after COVID-19 was awful. It was heartbreaking seeing new parents lose their jobs ect ect. It didn't sit right with me knowing how profitable TradeMe is and after seeing TradeMe take the government subsidy. In hindsight, the COVID restructure seems totally avoidable.

6. "Average"

Former Employee - Android Developer in Wellington, Wellington

I worked at Trade Me full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working hours and working place

Cons

People are nice, but mid-level management is bad,

7. COVID-19

"Great culture but wait, what's going on with new management?"

Former Employee - Test Analyst in Auckland, Auckland

I worked at Trade Me full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- awesome people, it's like your family - cool vibe and culture, events - individuality and personal development is praised and encouraged - tech stack differs but also depends on people's knowledge in a team - all those usual office perks like coffee, fruit, Friday drinks - used to be a good culture of work/life balance.

Cons

- no growth in some areas - senior management with unexpected, poor decisions - lots of junior developers with lack of experience and no guidance which leads to - no good technical leads for devs in some tribes to provide better solutions - now stricter policy - when all companies get more flexible, Trade me goes hard on employees because of COVID (working hours, no working from home, devs vs testers ratio in teams, workload, etc) - management don't care if good workers leave - new main website being in development for so many years and still super buggy and impossible to use (poor planning, no knowledge, bad decisions) - new assigned management don't care about adopted teams much

Continue reading
  8. "one of the best NZ company to work with"

5.0
    Former Employee - Senior Test Analyst in Auckland, Auckland

I worked at Trade Me full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

work culture, people, basically everything

Cons

don’t think so there are any cons

9. "Insights Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Insights Analyst in Wellington, Wellington

I worked at Trade Me full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting work Good people You'll learn a lot

Cons

Management has gone downhill and it's affecting the culture Other companies in the same industry are paying more

"Developers are jumping"

Former Employee - Senior IOS Developer in Auckland, Auckland

I worked at Trade Me full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual dress code. Good work life balance. Free lunches every second week. Friday drinks/food. Good coffee machine & fruit in office. Additional 5 "wellness days" of leave per year to use on whatever you want. Usually an all-offices combined party in Wellington every 6-12 months although future is uncertain.

Cons

Aged tech stack with declining quality. Lack of product focus. No formal salary reviews. Management resistance to working remote. Workplace not pet-friendly. No parking allowance.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 86 Reviews