PagerDuty Reviews

Updated 12 May 2020

4.6
PagerDuty CEO Jennifer Tejada
Jennifer Tejada
Pros
  • "Work/Life balance is 100% there, for me at least(in 19 reviews)

• "Good management who are always open to new ideas, catered lunch, great people with lots of enthusiasm, helpful mentorship(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains as the company scales(in 14 reviews)

• "The company is growing quickly and we're far past the point of being able to know all the people and what they're working on(in 11 reviews)

"A company with a great culture where you feel like you truly matter"

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Diversity, transparency from executive team, team building events, sense of community. It’s in a crisis when you see if you matter to your company or not, and I can say Pagerduty has excelled my already high expectations during this pandemic that has had ripples all over the world and they have acted swiftly to protect their employees and making accommodations in this new world. I am really thankful I work for such an amazing company where the leaders are transparent and open to hard questions. The culture is very positive and diverse; when interviewing it was the fact that they champion diversity and walk the walk that put Pagerduty above other companies for me and I am glad to say that I look back to my interview and all the positive things my interviewers mentioned were actually true and not just selling points as sometimes it can be the case.

Cons

None that I can think of at the moment and that says a lot.

PagerDuty2020-05-12

"Caring culture, great learning experience"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Engineering managers who actually care about your career growth. Career ladder is clear and reasonable (at least at the earlier levels, that I can speak to) - Interesting and challenging work (may vary between teams) - More than just lip service (for the most part) when it comes to diversity and building a positive and open culture - Flexible work-from-home policy - Incredibly supportive policies, especially seen during COVID-19 crisis

Cons

- Company is still trying to develop strong messaging/product. We're the biggest in our space but there are others catching up so we need to be more agile - Can't speak to culture in other departments. I don't think we're as good as we could be about inter-departmental collaboration and communication - There are a few "strong personalities" in eng, despite the "no a--holes" rule. - Pay is reasonable, but not comparable to the big FAANG-type valley salaries

PagerDuty2020-05-07

May 11, 2020People Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We love hearing that you're enjoying the wonderful culture we have here at PagerDuty! Our culture is so important to us and ultimately is what makes working at PagerDuty so unique. In this period of hyper-growth, we are committed to ensuring that Dutonians across all levels feel empowered to take ownership of their work so they can see themselves, their teams, and PagerDuty be as successful as possible. If you'd like to chat more, please reach out to a member of our People Team.

"Growing pains..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PagerDuty full-time

Pros

CEO is great with leadership. Great company benefits. Work from home options.

Cons

Managers who don’t really know how to manage and will expect you to learn how to swim on your own because they are too busy to take the time to invest in their employees to be set up for success. There is no real structure in the work processes so everything takes along time especially for a new person joining the company. Teams tend to be super cliquey and if they don’t feel like you are worthy to be apart of it, they will make you feel like the black sheep causing a toxic work environment.

PagerDuty2020-05-09

May 11, 2020People Team

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are glad to learn that you had a great experience with our leadership and benefits. Because taking care of our people is one of our core values, we’re constantly iterating on our tools and processes to make work more efficient -and more fun. Thanks to our Talent Development team, we've launched multifaceted programs to boost the skills and careers of our employees. As we continue to grow, we remain dedicated to listening and implementing programs and perks that allow all PagerDuty employees the opportunity to thrive. We wish you the best in your next adventure!

"Great Trust in Employees"

Current Employee - Data Scientist

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is trusting of employees to do work and as such allow a lot of perks - unlimited remote work, no facetime culture etc..

Cons

Growing pains and overlap between products can sometimes lead to duplicate work

PagerDuty2020-02-21

March 18, 2020Employer Branding and Talent Attraction Program Manager

"Such a great culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

A wonderful culture where you get supported and are expected to do the same. They seem to be very willing to try and fail, and if it's a failure they try to learn from the experience. They're also incredibly diverse and very modern in their thinking. I love the fact that they follow they've given 1% of their equity, 1% of their employees time and 1% of their product to charitable causes. They also really do put the customer first which is what most organizations say but PD really does. I also really do appreciate the fact that they're willing to have remote employees and allow folks who are working at an office turn to remote working as well.

Cons

Their tendency to run fast can create some interesting snarls to unkink but they ack and own and really do try to learn from their mistakes.

PagerDuty2020-01-26

"No"

Former Employee - Sales in London, England

I worked at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary and commissions are fantastic.

Cons

Opportunity in EMEA is not aligned with targets or opportunity.

PagerDuty2020-03-05

"Entitled Employees/Senior Management Woes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

For entry level or early career employees, this is a good place to work since they don't know any better and are impressed by catering and the appearance of good cultural values. You can see this reflected in the multitude of reviews talking about food, working from home whenever they want, autonomy, vacation time, and other nonsense.

Cons

Want to know why PagerDuty is a great place to work and for whom? Leadership is largely ineffective preferring to keep employees happy (enable their entitlement, bend over backwards when they complain about absolutely anything - which is a lot) to get the awards for best place to work (hard to recruit if your workplace ratings are poor). Middle management is struggling to effectively manage and hold their teams accountable, resulting in employees having a stranglehold on their managers. It is difficult to move out non-performers or unqualified employees leaving managers frustrated and incapable of being able to build solid performing teams. Most director level managers want to leave PagerDuty because when they attempt to implement real change they get a lot of pushback and don't get the support they need from leadership or the People team. There are some employees that have either sabotaged newcomers ability to be successful or have bad mouthed and ostracized them when they have tried to change the status quo. How can they do this? Because leadership favors a particular group of loyalists despite their inexperience. This is not isolated to a team or two; it is pervasive. Many employees are promoted without qualifications. So if you are early in your career and want an opportunity to learn on the job, work at your own pace, come and go as you please, refuse to learn from those with more experience, then this is your deal. If you are at the director level, you will struggle to make an impact and should look elsewhere where your experience will be respected and valued.

PagerDuty2020-02-29

March 18, 2020VP of People

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate and value your input as an employee, which has been our driving force in creating a People First culture in which all Dutonians can thrive. We are growing quickly which presents its challenges. Our leadership team is committed to providing the support that every Dutonian needs to feel empowered in their work and careers here at PagerDuty. We're dedicated to building an inclusive workplace that represents the real, everyday people we support around the world. I’m sorry you feel there may be a negative impact and I encourage you to reach out to me directly through email or Slack so we can work together and find a solution. Our intention is to make PagerDuty the best place you have ever worked. Thank you again for your insight. It helps us make PagerDuty a better company for everyone. - Zarah, VP of People

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Company to Small in Columbus, OH

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great People, Great Product, and a good comp plan

Cons

High growth, lots of moving parts and process changes

PagerDuty2020-01-08
  9. "Great experience at PagerDuty loved it"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly

I worked at PagerDuty part-time

Pros

flexibility, support, thought leadership, and great company culture

Cons

no compensation for commute for interns

PagerDuty2019-11-25

"Struggling to evolve"

Current Employee - Product in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly culture, good ERGs, benefits, and volunteering events

Cons

High risk of burnout, build fast and sell product mandate, more sales driven initiatives then innovation

PagerDuty2019-11-21

November 25, 2019Recruiting Coordinator

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback! It's very important to us that every Dutonian's voice is heard. At this time, we are laser-focused on improving processes for all departments and individuals. We will keep a sharp eye out to ensure our employees are equipped with the proper resources and feel they are receiving the support they need to succeed. You're hearing a lot about this in our All Hands and "Ask Me Anything" sessions hosted by leadership. Together, with trust and open dialogue, we will continue to innovate across our products, teams, and culture.

Found 169 reviews