EY Reviews | Glassdoor.co.nz

Carmine Di Sibio

"Manager in assurance"

Former Employee - Assurance Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at EY full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. You will have a very hard time not falling in love with every single person you meet there. 2. Seriously, you will meet your soul mate(s) there. 3. Prestigious and looks great on the resume. 4. Your brain will grow a thousand times more powerful. 5. Forces you to conquer your fear of public speaking. 6. Fun team bonding and lifelong friends. 7. Stepping stone to high paying jobs. 8. Helps you work on perfecting your charm. You will learn from the most charming people how to really get people to like you. 9. HR really cares. 10. Big support network (IT, creative services, etc.). 11. Teaches you to be calm and in control.

Cons

OK, I'm going to be discussing all the taboo things, and there are a lot of them. In spite of these cons, I still admit it's worth a five star rating. 1. High performers are "designated" (you have very little control over your rating) by the partner group (can be a pro if you get selected. Seriously, I have worked with some of the supposed "fives" and they are not any different than my threes and fours. 2. Quality is extremely low. Sometimes I felt like I was working at McDonalds and not a professional services firm. The emphasis is on getting through work as fast as possible and expectations for quality are not realistic. 3. EY has a very hard time firing bad employees. If you get stuck with one it can be a nightmare. 4. EY has a heavy emphasis on wasting time. For example, there are lots and lots of checklists which have no value that you have to fill out. Also, they wasted money and time on creating "Canvas" which is literally slower and more awkward than the previous workspace tool, GAMX. There is a heavy emphasis on "reinventing the wheel" and fixing problems that aren't broken with even worse solutions. Instead of wasting money on useless tools, that money could have been spent on your employees in the form of compensation. Like I said, EY is really focused on attempting to look as though value is being created when in fact it is not. 5. Lots of meetings. Appearances are very important. 6. Employees on global 360 accounts get better treatment. 7. Some employees (executives mostly) tend to overemphasize how important this work is. Let's face it, if it was really glorious work then we would have action figures. 8. Looks are very important. Seriously, if you are a girl, you will get promoted based on how hot you are (the quality of your work is largely unimportant). If you are a guy, you are treated a little better but there is still a sexist undercurrent in the environment. This is advice you won't get from HR obviously, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. 8. You will be forced to eat hours. 9. Your ethical compass will start to get weaker. 10. You will get a little cynical. 11. Lots of driving and travel. 12. "Family men" and married couples with children are more likely to be promoted. If you want to be a partner, you have to be married (few exceptions). 13. You will work on vacations. 14. Loss of relationships with family and friends. 15. Some backstabbing and credit-stealing (but not very common). 16. Comp is below market but that's to be expected. 17. Employee retention is not something management is interested in. This makes you replaceable and expendable (yes even as a manager, unless you have been "designated" as a high performer by the partner group).

EY2018-02-21

"Overall, very happy"

I have been working at EY full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A company that really cares about their people. Allows for flexible work environments as long as you communicate and complete your work in a timely manner. Many benefits including reimbursement for certain health and fitness expenses, long summer holiday weekends, and referral bonuses. Most of the people I work with are caring, dynamic, professional, and entertaining individuals.

Cons

Outside of busy season, it isn't uncommon to have certain periods of heavier work flows, i.e. 50ish hour work weeks. Utilization (% of work charged to billable hours), can be a bit high, though the % varies depending on your work level. More work seems to be delegated to India or handled by BOTs which may be good for the company overall, but maybe not the best for those wanted to gather further experience in the US.

EY2018-08-09
  3. "Consultant, Technology Risk"

Former Employee - Consultant in Gurgaon, Haryana

I worked at EY full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great learning experience Ownership Client facing experience

Cons

Requires additional hours of effort at times

EY2019-09-21
  4. "Good but overwhelming experience"

Current Employee - Assurance Associate in Guangzhou, Guangdong

I have been working at EY full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training program. We will get trained based on the level and responsibilities. You can get exposed to various industries

Cons

During busy season, all the employees stressed out. So the atmosphere in the office is a little bit down

EY2019-09-21
  5. "A good company to cut your teeth"

Current Employee - Transaction Advisory Services Manager in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at EY full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Fun culture, young demographic - Flexible hours and work from home - Good benefits and fitness allowance

Cons

- Long hours - Low pay compared to industry (unless you make partner) - Potential high volume of travel

6. "Associate"

I have been working at EY full-time

Pros

You can quickly adapt to your surroundings as you’ll be surrounded by people of similar age

Cons

Hierarchical although it’s said to have a flat structure

EY2019-09-21
  7. "It is a great starting point for financial professional career."

Former Employee - Senior

I worked at EY full-time

Pros

People are nice, team work makes you feel safe.

Cons

Sometimes overtime work can be stressful.

8. "Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bangalore

I have been working at EY full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility , lot of opportunities

Cons

Dont have anything to call out

EY2019-09-20
  9. "Good company and great program"

Current Employee - Technology Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at EY full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I'm "graduating" from TAP program soon. For the past 3 years, my experience at EY has been great. Competitive salaries, good raises every year, and fair review system. The best part is the people. Almost every one I worked with, especially the Senior Managers and PPEDs, are super supportive. They're willing to have dinner with you in their spare time and talk about your future career development. They often take you to lunch or dinner out of their own pockets. TAP program is great too. TAP salary is higher than other programs and projects are more interesting. The career trajectory is pretty good. You can have really fast growth at EY. EY overall is a little bit going downhill in recent years, but still has a lot of perks, like certification reimbursement and phone bill reimbursement. Honestly, if you are tight with a Partner, you can get a lot of stuff lol.

Cons

EY's internal functions are really garbage. Many people consultants are very incompetent. My friend's people consultant almost forgot to do her Exit Interview on her last day. Immigration messes up things all the time and it's super slow and unresponsive. Our Time & Expense and Review system are so poorly designed. They must be procured by some partners who never do Expenses and Reviews themselves.

EY2019-09-20
  10. "Good Place to work with"

Current Employee - Change Management in Thiruvananthapuram
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at EY full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

More Opportunities , Can upgrade skills

Cons

Some times not valuing the performance

Found 22272 reviews