Kaiser Permanente Reviews

Found 8,656 of over 9,792 reviews

4.0
Kaiser Permanente CEO Gregory Adams
Gregory Adams
Pros
  • "Good place to work for with great benefits(in 1124 reviews)

• "Very competitive pay and benefits when in a part time or full time position(in 543 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No work life balance in member services(in 186 reviews)

• "Sometimes upper management abuse their poison(in 135 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Great benefits

Nov 24, 2020 - Registered Nurse in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are amazing Pay PTO Paid holidays

Cons

None, very satisfied with this work place

22 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Kaiser- best hospital to work for

Jul 14, 2021 - Pharmacy Technician Outpatient in Fresno, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay at Kaiser is the highest in the medical field that I know of. You have access to see how much people get paid based their position, the union they're in, and how many years they have been at Kaiser. It is union, except for any management/supervisor positions, so after your 3 month probation period it's almost impossible to get fired. The benefits are great, they are taken out of your union dues each pay period.

Cons

It is union so everything is based on seniority , your hire date. Even if you work your butt off, you don't get higher pay or better shifts. It can take forever to get benefited. I am still on-call after 5 years! I can technically work 40 hours a week and still not have a benefited position. This is mainly due to the fact there was a lot of people hired in my department at the same time, therefore our hire date goes by the time we applied, since we all got hired on the same day. I am one of the last people not to have a position, but the pay is worth the wait. Again Kaiser is union, so coworkers can be lazy....I think they forgot just how easy they have it and how much they get paid. Management can't really do anything to discipline , or won't do anything since our union is so strong.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great benefits, job security, but the usual bureaucracy

Sep 9, 2015 - Program Manager in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Kaiser is a great place to work and build a career over time. In my experience salaries are above market for most positions, and the benefits are so good that many people become "lifers". The health coverage is extremely generous, and time off starts off adequate and gets better over time (18 days when you start, moving up to 33 after 15+ years - this does not include sick time). Employees truly believe in the mission of KP (at least, I do) and it's clear that this is a place where employees' contributions are valued. Although my role is not part of any of the unions, the fact that our workforce is predominantly unionized also places a positive role in KP's reputation as a good place for workers (although having unionized staff also presents many challenges). Overall, I enjoy working at KP and would recommend it to others, but understand that you are entering a big bureaucracy. A friendly, mission-driven bureaucracy, but still.

Cons

Cons: having lots of "lifers" means that innovative ideas and workflows are not always adopted without a fight. People have their roles deeply embedded here, and any threat to the status quo is seen as negative, even though we need to make some pretty radical changes given the new health care environment post-ACA. There's a lot of "not my job" attitudes here. It's hard to navigate the layers of bureaucracy, both in terms of personnel/HR/benefits, and in getting work done (there are often 4-5 departments at the regional and national KP levels working on similar areas, and no guidance on who does what.) Be aware that KP is not immune to reorganizations and layoffs -- they do make a good attempt to ensure workers are hired elsewhere in the organization, but there are no guarantees, and there can be a lot of turnover in certain departments. Benefits are currently generous but are always subject to downgrades in the future, so just be aware of that. Some changes to the pension and retiree medical benefits are about to hit, and with them a wave of Baby Boomers will be taking retirement, which should hopefully open up many new management opportunities for Millennials. Oh, and the biggest con of all: we still - STILL - use Lotus Notes for email. Shocking, I know, but true.

254 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Kaiser Culture

Jul 18, 2021 - Senior Physician Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

The organization works hard and consistently to improve what it does. It has gotten great at seeking feedback from employees and implementing changes that advance the organization towards its goals. They are not afraid of change. KP changes frequently and takes risks when appropriate.

Cons

The frequent change can sometimes be tiresome. I've had a different office and building every year, and my department frequently tweaks its function.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great pay and benefits

Jul 24, 2021 - Medical Assistant in Aurora, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay and benefits are absolutely great. Free health insurance for you and your entire family. Also kaiser helps with paying for education.

Cons

In the time I have been with Kaiser, there had been allot of reorganization of employment. Which isn't very assuring, even though you are represented.

6. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great Company poor upper management

May 12, 2021 - Medical Social Worker (MSW) in Brentwood, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing people to work with. The best Social Work Team I have ever worked with and you really fall in love with the company and what your role is. I loved my job but I resigned because I became a target/radar for my supervisors. I would have dedicated my life career to Kaiser, and I worked my butt off to get there. I finally had my dream job, two weeks into working their things changed. Let me just say that nit picking and never giving any positive redirection just negative feedback will break someones spirit. Educate yourselves its your key to a good job!!

Cons

You will only get hired if you know someone and if you have years experiance. There is no room to start with kasier and to be trained as you grow in your profession. Poor communication and negative feedback is given. Director goes by the manager says about you so if your not liked by the office manager your position will not pass probation. If you have adhd and struggle with any learning disabilities do not even apply!! I resigned and left gracefully but I also was bullied by the director who has a record of bullying her employees!! And she's untouchable because her partner is the CEO of my region. Any formal complaint would disappear or get" swept under the rug" And why make eniemies that could possiably hurt me somewhere down the road.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0

No appreciation

Jul 21, 2021 - Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) in Puyallup, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I guess the only positive thing, is the pay is on the higher end, also the union has some good benefits.

Cons

KP does not value or appreciate their medical assistants, we are never treated or acknowledge for all the work we have to do. And it keeps becoming more and more. The workload vs expectations is not doable. You can absolutely never get any time off here as well, if you don't have seniority you may as well never plan a vacation, because it won't be approved, or maybe 3 days out of your 5 will be but they will be out of order and make it impossible to plan around.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee

“Where much is given, much is required.”

Jun 30, 2021 - Psychiatrist in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits are second to none, particularly healthcare benefits which include unlimited outpatient visits, ER visits, and hospitalization for yourself and dependents as well as retirement benefits which include a 401k, Keogh, and pension. The people are friendly and overall the culture is very positive and supportive.

Cons

There is no cap on patient case loads and the demand is HIGH. You will continue to take new patients daily even if you do not have any follow-up availability for months out and it is very difficult to see a patient more frequently than once every 3 months at the most which brings up frustration for patients and physicians alike. There is not a lot of vacation time offered and it must be requested a minimum of 5 months in advance. Also, every hour of your schedule is scrupulously monitored. For example, if you generally work a 10-hour day and are off on Thanksgiving, 2 hours will be removed from your vacation time because holidays are only provided for up to 8 hours.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Lives up to its reputation

Jul 19, 2021 - Copywriter in Burbank, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

My managers and colleagues at Kaiser were very serious about collaboration, work/life balance, and opportunities for growth. They practiced the same principles they promoted to employers, with a lot of support for emotional health and well-being and zero workaholic hustle-culture BS, even in the busiest of times. Great leadership, great team, great place to work.

Cons

Can be frustratingly bureaucratic at times, with relatively low salaries.

10. 5.0

Excellent Employer with a Non-Profit Focus

Jul 23, 2021 - Business Process Consultant in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Live their Thrive philosophy Great management Commitment to employees and diversity Investment in community Focus on member/patient satisfaction Excellent health benefits Generous retirement package

Cons

Extremely matrixed organization Disconnects between markets Limited pay increases

Viewing 1 - 10 of 8,656 Reviews