Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews | Glassdoor.co.nz

3.7
Booz Allen Hamilton CEO Horacio D. Rozanski
Horacio D. Rozanski
Pros
Cons
  • "Work-life balance is hard to maintain(in 204 reviews)

• "Burns through people by chasing awful work to maintain company revenue after going public(in 100 reviews)

1. "Good"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Interesting place to be in

Cons

Nothing challenging in this place

Advice to Management

Awesome

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-08-14

"Great people, terrible business"

Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton for less than a year

Pros

The people are great. Everyone -- even the difficult types -- are eager to work and excel. There are some senior officers with questionable morality, but most people here are great people to work with.

Cons

1. Federal clients. Don't forget that you'll move at their pace, not yours. 2. The nature of the job means that sooner or later you'll be strategizing ways to get more money from the client (i.e. federal government), regardless of whether or not you'll actually add value. BAH runs on government money, a large chunk from DoD, and thus is part of the bigger problem we have in this country with fiscal responsibility.... 3. Living off the American taxpayer. Much of the money that flies around in DC is at the expense of everyone else everywhere else in the US, BAH is a major player in this system, particularly the defense technology sector. 4. You'll never get paid what you're worth. The three lowest ranks (Consultant, Sr. Consultant, Associate) seldom make what they're worth, while senior management (looking at you, officers) make insane amounts of money.

Advice to Management

I'm leaving this job for two reasons, despite being hand-picked and groomed for greater responsibility by senior management. 1. You weren't paying me enough to do the job; especially when you factor in the amount of stress this job puts on a human being, the amount of time I sacrificed with my family, the amount of guilt this job inspired in me as an American. 2. The job is not meaningful to anyone who doesn't... lust for profits. At some point each of us gets a look at how the sausage is made, and then it becomes clear that the government is basically asking (literally sending out solicitations and announcements) to be ripped off. They don't need what we're selling, but they buy it anyways because Congress tells them to. This buys Congress fancy retirement plans at the same businesses that profit. But everyone else loses, and Booz Allen isn't doing enough to be a part of our nation's long-term fiscal stability.

Booz Allen Hamilton2016-09-15
  3. "Talent Acquisition is the BOMB at Booz Allen Hamilton~ IF you want to work hard!"

Current Employee - Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been with the firm for several years and can't envision myself working anywhere else. Each day presents a challenge, we are not micromanaged and often given leadership responsibility. We are each responsible to drive hiring, present trends and, meet with Hiring Managers to educate them of the process and back up performance with metrics and coordinate large hiring events. You can expect to manage 60+ req's in... the defense side, per Recruiter. You are generally recognized for your outstanding performance. If you can't handle working autonomously or are adverse to hard work and hiring goals, it is not the right place for you. Pay is excellent, we are paid WAY above what Glassdoor claims is the high end BUT you earn every penny. This is not the typical "Recruiting job". If you look at description for a Recruiting Lead, that is more what you should expect to be doing. Managing your clients within your "Service Offering" to make offers quickly and meet strict deadlines advising on best practice with a keen eye on compliance at ALL TIMES. Its truly a wonderful place to work. We work with purpose and know we are making a contribution to the betterment of society and the DoD.

Cons

Headcount drives promotions even if you exceed all hiring expectations. Promotion will come eventually, I believe, but it takes a lot of time and dedication to prove you are able to lead. You must be assigned a challenging task, like integration of a new system or a large contract and then perform well to be promoted past Senior level, into leadership track. You should expect to act as a Lead before you get that... title. We don't all receive a recruiting bonus for hires in a quarter, etc. I think more can be done to recognize outstanding performance. We could have more contact with the decision makers, those that recognize top performance. Maybe a meeting once a year and invite those that consistently meet their goals and/or are on track for promotion. Lots of work.

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-10-18
  4. "Work life balance and people are great"

Former Employee - Middleware Administrator in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance Technologies People Pay is fair

Cons

Hard to grow professionally and move up the ladder

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-10-17
  5. "Recent Grad"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Solid government contractor, lots of client face time, and culture of growing new hires.

Cons

Finding work within the firm can be challenging for new hires, tough to build a network (takes time), and each project will ask for 8 -12 months before back filling. Also, limited opportunities for strategic consulting roles in the government space for new hires--mainly admin support.

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-10-16
  6. "Great"

Current Employee - Strategic Communications Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Teleworking, nice office, impactful work

Cons

Commute and variety of coffee machines.

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-10-15
  7. "Would recommend"

Current Employee - Associate in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Company to work for!

Cons

Some projects have old technology

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-10-15
  8. "Great solid company to build your career"

Current Employee - Lead Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stable leadership, great outlook going into the future for a wide variety of work opportunities, amazing benefits, unparalled job security in the local market

Cons

Base pay may not be as high as some competitors, may be difficult to break into higher levels of management

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-10-14
  9. "401K Matching 6% but only if working on DEC 31"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice 6% matching on salary

Cons

Nothing if not working on DEC 31

Advice to Management

Implement monthly 401K matching instead of annually on DEC 31.

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-10-12
  10. "Great firm to work for as a data scientist interested in public sector consulting"

Current Employee - Data Scientist

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Excellent work-life balance and ability to "determine your own destiny" - Great firm resources and a culture of collaboration

Cons

- As with most federal consulting positions, navigating public sector clients can come with a learning curve.

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-10-11