Xero Reviews

4.3
Xero CEO Steve Vamos
Steve Vamos
Pros
Cons
  • "Maybe the middle management (team lead) is a bit weak in management skills(in 21 reviews)

• "Global head office in NZ and a lot of functions in(in 16 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Auckland, Auckland

I have been working at Xero full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture and engineering challenges are fantastic

Cons

no cons to i can think of

2. "As good as people say"

Current Employee - Communications in Wellington, Wellington

I have been working at Xero full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very supportive culture. Flexible, professional. Smart people.

Cons

None! Really, coworkers are great. Leadership leads. Opportunities are plentiful.

Xero Response

July 10, 2020

Thank you for your review! Our #human value really shines through our people and we're proud of the Xero culture! ^CP

3. COVID-19

"Amazing people"

Current Employee - Architect in Wellington, Wellington

I have been working at Xero full-time for less than a year

Pros

Heaps of amazing, talented people to work with. A strong culture of empathy, kindness and support. Lots of room for growth. Doing some of the most interesting and challenging work I've ever done. Leadership's response to Covid has been outstanding.

Cons

Salaries aren't as high as you'd expect. Different groups and offices have different cultures and norms. We move slowly, very quickly. Not the place to be if you need hand-holding or don't like change.

Continue reading
  4. "Good development opportunities"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Wellington, Wellington

I have been working at Xero full-time

Pros

- Great perks - Experience with new technology - Fast paced and opportunities to expand knowledge.

Cons

There aren't too many cons.

Xero Response

July 10, 2020

Thank you so much for sharing your review. We're delighted to hear that you're enjoying your experience at Xero and look forward to growing together! ^CP

5. "Potential Xero Lifer"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing in Auckland, Auckland

I have been working at Xero full-time for more than a year

Pros

TOP: A very flexible workspace Great work-life balance A company that truly cares about Great tech stack Xero shares Very human approach to management Very skilled colleagues Great feedback processes

Cons

Some siloes exist between teams where collaboration should Communication between global and regional teams and initiatives could be better

Continue reading

"Genuinely Incredible Grad Program"

Current Employee - Graduate Software Developer in Wellington, Wellington

I have been working at Xero full-time for less than a year

Pros

They take mental health seriously. They encourage learning. They care about, and actively try to teach Emotional Intelligence. Work life balance is amazing, no overtime

Cons

Large company with a lot of teams, can be overwhelming

7. "Lots of Good Stuff Here"

Former Employee - Software Development Team Lead in Wellington, Wellington

I worked at Xero full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Communication is very open and flows well Many parts focus on hiring for attitude as much as for skills Has grown a lot in the last few years Things like mental health, work-life balance and personal development are openly discuss Lots of smart people to work with and talk to

Cons

Flexible working policy is based around conversations with managers, but some managers have a personal bias against this regardless of whether or not the role can be done flexibly. Culture can feel a little cheerleader-ish and overly positive at times, improvement does required acknowledging where you've gone wrong Office and shared spaces are a bit out of touch with reality, software development requires deep thinking but office is very cramped and noisy, leads to days of low productivity.

8. "Great place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Product Architect - Identity and Access Management in Wellington, Wellington

I have been working at Xero full-time

Pros

Flexible working and great people, always new and interesting problems to solve.

Cons

Clear people and product management advancement pathways but not as much for technical advancement.

9. "Best company I've worked for but they need better training for people management"

4.0
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Wellington, Wellington

I have been working at Xero full-time

Pros

Very flexible work culture; you are free to try out different career paths and move around as much you want. They are super supportive in personal and career development. Most people in the business just genuinely want to help you and there's heaps of compassion, the Human value is strong here. Great offices with coffee machines, barista, table football, areas you can hang out in. The shares scheme is definitely an incentive to put in the tenure.

Cons

Unfortunately I've had pretty bad experiences with managers at Xero. I've experienced extremes of micro managing or completely failing to give any direction which leaves me feeling abandoned. I know Xero are trying to get more training for managers but honestly i think the wrong people are leading. They are great at what they do technically but they are not supportive coaches. It seems like there is years of hiring the wrong people into managing roles to fix and it will take a long time to either train these people or find new, better people leaders. The poor leadership is resulting in me feeling like I've hit a ceiling but I'm not supported to move into the next role up the ladder. More awareness of people's skills and how they can be used to benefit Xero would be great and get them into the right role for their strengths.

Continue reading
  10. "Everyone cares, everyone is valued"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Auckland, Auckland

I have been working at Xero full-time

Pros

At Xero it feels like everyone cares and is ready to help. Feeling safe to be yourself, and contribute your best is a fundamental part of the Xero culture. The processes and technology aren't perfect, but everyone has the ability to propose a solution, and in many cases the autonomy to make it better directly. The amenities and perks are amazing too, from a lovely barista, office gym (with classes run by other Xero employees), decent long term stock incentives (that are performing amazingly), free holidays over Xmas, and much more.

Cons

Being a relatively young company, and having grown so quickly, the processes and operational maturity aren't always quite what someone might expect for a company of that size and scale. This can cause frustrations in some areas - but as mentioned above, they are also opportunities for someone to step up and improve, and show what they're capable of.

Found 414 reviews