Westwing Home and Living Reviews | Glassdoor.co.nz

3.7
Westwing Home and Living Founder and CEO Stefan Smalla
Stefan Smalla
Cons
  1. "Good opportunity to learn"

Former Employee - Head of CRM in Moscow

I worked at Westwing Home and Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with. Good professional climate

Cons

No cons for the company

Westwing Home and Living2020-01-15
  2. "***PLEASE READ BEFORE CONSIDERING WORKING HERE ***"

Former Employee - Marketing in Garching b.München

I worked at Westwing Home and Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

I Met some cool people

Cons

Working Atmosphere Huge open offices with huge windows with mix of daylight and florescent lights. This causing lots of glare on the screens. Not so fun when you have people jammed in a room sitting on top of each other. Plus side is that home office is possible and not issues. Communication No structure for communication. If you try to go though your team lead or contact other team leads the conversation is lost. There is no hierarchy when it comes to getting the message to the correct person. A lot of this has to do with the team leads with little to no experience. Colleagues Closeness Most colleagues work well but some are back stabbing just to get the rank in the company. I have seen this with multiple colleagues where this one person has had this person fired or made quite. My guess is that they feel threatened by ones ability. Work-life balance Most of the time when requested to have time off it was never an issue. But I have seen others where they are required to work long hours without mandated breaks or being compensated. Its also not possible to take holidays during a certain time of year. Its your holiday and what if you have family time in other parts of the world at this time. I’m sorry but you are given holiday time you should take when you want. Superiors Behavior Again team leads are very inexperienced, so they don’t know how to handle the situations or manage people with such conflicts. Some team leads were interns about 2 years ago. Conflicts are either ignored or eliminated by getting rid of the person. Interesting Tasks When the interview happened to become part of Westwing they make it seem that you are your own person. You get to make new ideas and come to the for front. In reality you are a robot and when you want to push the envelope its immediately shut down by your team lead. Again Team leads with no experience in the role they are doing so to move this idea up the ladder the lead has to know what they are talking about. This is far from the case. I’m speaking in Content marketing and content production in particular. Equal Rights Westwing will hire international expats looking for visa’s. Even though they provide the work visa this gives the opportunity to pay lower to un realistic wage in Munich. Dealing with Senior Colleagues Most of Westwing is under 30 but very few are older and have experience. But when having to deal with these people its normally a lot easier. Working Conditions Huge open offices with huge windows with mix of daylight and florescent lights. This causing lots of glare on the screens. While doing graphics , photos or video is can be harmful to the eyes not to mention the color tones to final products. There is a lot of non work related banter. Some people think this is nice but this is not conducive for work. While working on locations you are expected to work long hours while not be provided legally alleged breaks. Food is never provided when most of these locations are remote with out given transportation and being walking distance to a shop. While at the office there is not many lunch options close by one place. Lunch is provided at a discounted rate Mon-Thurs and a food machine that is sold out very fast. For anytime you want something. I am a person that likes to leave the office specially in this environment. Environmental / social awareness People pretty much stay in groups and any team events they are not set up in way to mingle with in the company to chat with other colleagues Content / benefits Really not much benefits besides discounts on the website. This is not benefit when you don’t need or want the style of products. Westwing serves really only one type of style. With the low salary that Westwing Provides its still hard to afford some of the items if you did like them. After seeing most of the products in person and working closely, you see how really bad they are. When hired they say that free coffee and tea but in my eyes this is not a benefit. Most of the companies I worked at in last 10 years have great snacks and drinks and don’t count this as benefit. Image The image of the company is said to be middle aged house wife or mom. But the image inside the company is young and under 30. I really don’t know how marketing can happen when these people cant relate. Career / development Westwing also takes advantage of this by doing promotions with in the company. Allotting of promotions is done in kindergarten style, Meaning over actual ability / skills. The designated promoted person is not given any training regarding the new role because there in fact no one there to just do this. In simple words Westwing is a structure less madhouse. I have seen many job postings for marketing / content production roles making me thing this is marketing agency with in a larger umbrella. Not the case. Almost all of the marketing team leads have little to no experience in either marketing or video / photo production. Yet they are managing teams. Westwing has the most ridiculous job roles and tittles to people. I understand this is E Commerce company but when you produce content there is still a level of production and know-age that has to be met. This makes for saving time and money making the creative efficient. At Westwing this is far from the case! Please don’t waste your time working here if you have other options I would advise you to explore.

Advice to Management

Hire people that are skilled in the area of work.

Westwing Home and Living2020-01-14
  3. "Cool company with cool people (almost all) but with the huge and kinda useless legacy"

Current Employee - Back End Developer

I have been working at Westwing Home and Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

People, I mean almost all of them, even heads of depts. It's funny, but most of the time it's really easier to commune with the heads.

Cons

Huge, useless legacy. Many things need to be refactored or even forgotten. The chosen tools look outdate from the beginning, IMHO

Advice to Management

Do not afraid of the tech zoo, because it is already, but try to choose modern technologies with huge community and docs support. It will be great to maintain and develop with them.

Westwing Home and Living2019-11-27
  4. "High Volume, High Demand, High Profiles."

I have been working at Westwing Home and Living full-time

Pros

Informality, speed, commitment to style and being avant-garde in the decoration sector.

Cons

It is a brand that allows a lot of freedom, but with a very high workload. The company needs to invest in career and training plans because the team has many junior people.

Westwing Home and Living2019-11-15
  5. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - International Business Development Manager in Munich, Bavaria

I worked at Westwing Home and Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can learn a lot. Great people.

Cons

It really depends a lot who will be your team lead. No development program.

Westwing Home and Living2019-09-23
  6. "Application / recruitment process"

Current Employee - Marketing in Munich, Bavaria

I have been working at Westwing Home and Living full-time

Pros

Very smooth and easy recruitment process (always feedback within 1 day!). Friendly and helpful people.

Cons

No complaints about the application or recruitment process!

Westwing Home and Living2019-08-02

"Overall ok."

Current Employee - Product Specialist

I have been working at Westwing Home and Living full-time

Pros

Very easy to do, no hassle.

Cons

Chaotic approach, monotonous work, no opportunity to grow or learn anything new.

Westwing Home and Living2019-08-16
  8. "Excellent working place"

Former Employee - Head of Software Development in Munich, Bavaria

I worked at Westwing Home and Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Young and solid company. Honest and transparent communication. A lot of benefits like: gym collaboration, public transport support, conference budget

Cons

Can't name any. My favourite employer, but sometimes it's time to move on for new experience

Westwing Home and Living2019-07-26
  9. "Great place to learn"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager

I worked at Westwing Home and Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to start your career, to learn and progress quickly Young, creative people Beautiful office

Cons

No work-life balance Need to be in the inner circle to be visible and promoted

Westwing Home and Living2019-07-21

"Hire-fire leader in Munich"

Former Employee - N/A in Munich, Bavaria

I worked at Westwing Home and Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some friendships,HR,free drinks,good restaurant,free coffee

Cons

Very bad leadership,HIRE-FIRE mentality all the way,arogancy,experience and knowledge is LAST thing overthere,many bootlickers around,good for internships one and only,non logical changes frequently,team leaders lost on daily basis...Just for Germans and their clowns.Keep away from them if you are proud,educated or experienced.Terrible place.

Advice to Management

Do not deserve any advice.

Westwing Home and Living2019-06-25