Volvo Car USA Reviews | Glassdoor.co.nz

Found 64 reviews

3.5
Volvo Car USA CEO Anders Gustafsson
Anders Gustafsson
Pros
  • "(in 5 reviews)

• "Great benefits and a growing culture that empowers me to explore new fields of interest(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "culture, it's about trying to recreate Swedish culture in the U(in 4 reviews)

• "in senior positions are done so because there are no other jobs for them in Sweden, leaving the U(in 3 reviews)

"Unorganized, poorly managed - leave it up to the USA to screw it up"

Current Employee - IMQ Engineer in Ridgeville, SC

I have been working at Volvo Car USA full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get paid on payday. (Unless your leaving then they take your last paycheck which you find out on payday)

Cons

Management is garbage, no directions, no vision, no standardized work. Free for all from the management team. Company doesn’t believe in department lanes (you know, make your dept #1) Nope, so you may have been hired as a QE busy rest assured you’ll be coordinating trucks, ordering parts, reworking cars but hey, it’s in the name of “team work”. Worse place I’ve ever been. Had to hire an attorney because... the company decided they would triple the costs of my moving package and stick me with a $28k fee for leaving early. No integrity. Poorly managed. Rude & clueless.

Advice to Management

Read a book on structure. “stay in your lane” Not everything is a “coaching moment”. Leaders help others lead

Volvo Car USA2019-08-09
  2. "Great environment"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Volvo Car USA full-time

Pros

Great team environment enforced by management

Cons

Very layed back. More than I like

Volvo Car USA2019-06-11

"Not what i expected, life changed and i got promises that the Americans could not provide"

Current Employee - Maintenance in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Volvo Car USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Long hours equal more money, that is a con too. Nice people, but they are getting angry daily Potential union, which i do not believe in but this location needs it. Clean locker rooms to shower in Smoking is not allowed everywhere Free coffee

Cons

Everything, no communication, little direction and we make vehicles for no one. I mean, i was fooled by the Swedish people when they said this will be a culture to stay. If you think about working here for anything other than the money, do not do it. Before you sign on, go look at the parking lot, 8,000 vehicles made, 6,000 in the parking lot that cannot be sold. Joke HR is not existent, no policies for a year... since i was hired. How many days can i miss, not sure i guess it is up to my supervisor. When i left there was still no policy book and we all just printed random information off the online site. Not sure if it is even real. What a joke.

Advice to Management

Communicate Get real Do not be an idealist, be a realist Listen to your team Be approachable Listen Learn Be nice and treat people as they are not idiots. I know i work in a factory, no education, but do not treat me like i am sum. Seriously Present me a revision of a policy book Smile and pretend like your happy, cause we on the line are not and could use the motivation. Do not work me long hours for... cars that cannot be sold Do not lie to me at noon, saying i am working until 5:40, make accommodations for my children, then at 2:30 tell me we do not have parts an cannot make the cars that no one will buy. AGH get it togther. More to say, just very sad about changing my life for an empty promise.

Volvo Car USA2019-06-06
  4. "Great Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Volvo Car USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work environment, pay, benefits cost

Cons

Long hours, work life balance

Volvo Car USA2019-03-19

"Sold a dream"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Ridgeville, SC

I worked at Volvo Car USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee car leasing program for employees

Cons

Poor Management, too much overtime, favoritism, can’t have an opinion of your own

Advice to Management

Take advice from the Swedish colleagues. It’s ran nothing like we were promised. While in pre hire training you are truly sold a dream that this company will be ran like the one on Sweden with mutual respect and a wonderful culture. Even the colleagues from Sweden that came over to help couldn’t believe the way the US colleagues were running the company. They would get frustrated quickly with the way things were... being ran. And give advice but management from the other car companies that were hired (to bring in the culture of where they came from) would not be open to listening. One upper management person said that the company will never be ran the way that we were told it would be run. So like the summary said we were sold a dream. We work ridiculous overtime for issues because upper management supply chain can’t keep the parts orders correct. The system for that is inaccurate and no one seems to care. It states we have parts that we don’t. And there have been times when no one could even find the parts that were actually at the factory. It’s just a cluster of problems with parts and upper management issues. And don’t let me forget the favoritism by management also. So much of that goes on there also. Don’t be a little bit outspoken about being treated unfairly or you’re doomed.

Volvo Car USA2019-04-13

"Be careful what you look for"

Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Volvo Car USA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are not any pros to working for this Company

Cons

High insurance and long hours. Need to be on call for superiors

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

Volvo Car USA2019-04-08

"Worst Nightmare Realized"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockleigh, NJ

I have been working at Volvo Car USA full-time

Pros

Free cars at higher levels of the organization

Cons

Extremely disorganized leadership that treat people with little to no respect in the way that employees are spoken to and treated- you feel completely disposable and taken advantage of. The culture is very toxic and instead of leadership looking to adapt to the U.S. culture, it's about trying to recreate Swedish culture in the U.S., which leads to various initiatives and processes being rolled out that make zero... sense in a U.S. context and where we are just doing them for leadership's political agenda and to look like they are "globalizing" Volvo, but actually they are forcing a Swedish agenda without any regard for or desire to understand what could work best in this market. Often times leaders and expats that are brought over to the U.S. in senior positions are done so because there are no other jobs for them in Sweden, leaving the U.S. with very weak, incompetent and expensive Swedish leaders. This leaves very few senior-level positions available for local American employees to grow in or aspire to. Additionally they are constantly speaking in Swedish in the office, leaving Americans out of the conversation completely. This company used to feel like a family to me but has since become unrecognizable- beyond my worst imaginable nightmares.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and try to understand the culture that you are a part of. Invest in your culture and people and make some bold leadership changes.

Volvo Car USA2019-02-25

"Came in with high hopes but turning for the worse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridgeville, SC

I worked at Volvo Car USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stepping stone to get experience on a resume.

Cons

Leadership is driving to failure. Becoming a toxic environment and managers blame everyone else for problems. Many unqualified managers/leaders.

Advice to Management

Listen and learn. Being a manager or director or VP doesn’t make you right. Take suggestions from your teams.

Volvo Car USA2019-01-19

"Inventory Specialist"

I worked at Volvo Car USA

Pros

Leasing discount for newer vehicles

Cons

Short breaks. No full lunch 4 15 mom breaks through out the day

Volvo Car USA2018-08-18

"It could have been a good place to work"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Ridgeville, SC

I have been working at Volvo Car USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The blue collared workers are nice and seem to care. The facility is easy to get to and close to the interstate.

Cons

You’re success at volvo is solely dependent on which building you are assigned to. The majority of management is not qualified to be in the positions they are currently holding. The “volvo” culture does not exist. Plan to be working 7 12’s and never see your family. Don’t expect to have a “private meeting” with HR without one of your managers babysitting you.

Advice to Management

Be humble and find a job you are qualified for

Volvo Car USA2018-08-26