UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.nz

UnitedHealth Group Reviews

Updated 15 Nov 2019

3.4
UnitedHealth Group CEO Dave Wichmann (no image)
Dave Wichmann

"Very heads-down"

IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group for less than a year

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area." This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading. Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review. The positives: Great work/life balance: I never have to... stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away. Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow! Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you. Total autonomy No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change. All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info. 30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare. Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go. - Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home. -Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there. -Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer. -If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone... is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff). -Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs. -Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce! -No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password. -Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work! -LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them. -Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

UnitedHealth Group2015-08-13

"Good company, great culture, needs process improvment"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance Great senior team Fun team/volunteer and company activities Generous PTO Company cares about its employees

Cons

A lot of processes are old and have not changed. There are many instances where the old processes can not keep up with the company's growth. Like any other large companies, there are many moving parts that can be hard to keep track of. Can be very difficult to move within the company internally.

UnitedHealth Group2019-04-25

"GREAT COMPANY FOCUS"

Current Employee - Workers Compensation Customer Service Representative

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I think the companies overall vision is promising.

Cons

I think lower level management does not encompass the overall vision from upper management and the companies projected long term goals.

UnitedHealth Group2019-11-11
  4. "Going through some needed changes"

Former Employee - Vice President Product
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

High caliber of employees, nice offices, better than average benefits

Cons

Very focused on the bottom line

UnitedHealth Group2019-11-16

"international employee"

Former Employee - Senior Officer in Islamabad, Islamabad

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

over working could be a potential issue

Cons

good salary compensation is given

Advice to Management

more training to staff would be great for further career growth

UnitedHealth Group2019-11-11
  6. "Good"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay Flexibility Opportunity US team culture is good

Cons

No travel Shift timings More work hours

UnitedHealth Group2019-11-13
  7. "Nice Company to Work With lot to Learn"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

- Big Company -Good Work Culture -Lot of Exposure to Business -Technical Knowledge

Cons

-Packages might not to be upto standard if you stay too long. -Leaves have to be pre planned.

Advice to Management

Salary corrections.

UnitedHealth Group2019-11-14
  8. "Wonderful employer"

Former Employee - Lead Case Management Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, family friendly employer

Cons

My position wasn't a remote position.

9. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Proper procedure and systems in place

Cons

Night shifts, primary call support

10. "working environment"

Former Employee - Mf Dev

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice to work flexibility nice

Cons

reviews no parking for site1

UnitedHealth Group2019-11-10