UnitedHealth Group Reviews

Updated 24 May 2020

3.3
UnitedHealth Group CEO Dave Wichmann (no image)
Dave Wichmann
1,027 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "Work-life balance skewed to favor UHG, under-appreciative leaders exist in various parts of the business(in 363 reviews)

• "Health Insurance is abysmal for a(in 351 reviews)

Featured Divisions of UnitedHealth Group

"Very heads-down"

IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group for less than a year

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area." This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading. Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review. The positives: Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away. Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow! Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you. Total autonomy No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change. All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info. 30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare. Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go. - Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home. -Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there. -Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer. -If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff). -Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs. -Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce! -No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password. -Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work! -LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them. -Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Continue reading
    UnitedHealth Group2015-08-13

UnitedHealth Group Response

September 12, 2016Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm happy to hear you enjoy working at the company. Judy Cater, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

2. "Great company no job security"

Former Employee - Test Analyst in Brandon, FL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work life balance remote work flexibility

Cons

Company layoffs almost every year

UnitedHealth Group2020-05-22
  3. "Good company"

Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Hyderābād

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Good company good environment professional

Cons

Late growth for employees no job security

UnitedHealth Group2020-05-20
  4. "Good For Freshers"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Educating the Employee and given the ability to expand our knowledge in other roles.

Cons

No concerns, depends on your project.

UnitedHealth Group2020-05-20
  5. "great place"

Current Employee - Provider Relations Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a lot of potential for internal mobility

Cons

can take awhile to move up

UnitedHealth Group2020-05-19
  6. "current worker"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

good benefits, good pay, easy job

Cons

lack of communication between employees. No room for growth

UnitedHealth Group2020-05-19
  7. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Associate Accountant in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Let me work at my own pace, and very good work environment.

Cons

Would not let me telecommute one day a week.

Continue reading
    UnitedHealth Group2020-05-17
  8. "Overall good"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Benefit Analyst in Hyderābād

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Right place for Growth and development

Cons

Less pay and more work hours

UnitedHealth Group2020-05-17
  9. "Senior claims associate"

Current Employee - Senior Claims Associate in Hyderābād

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I wanted to change job

Cons

Am the best performer in every month

UnitedHealth Group2020-05-16
  10. "good pay for students at university if at tottenham"

Former Employee - First Aider in London, England

I worked at UnitedHealth Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

good competitive student pay whilst being able to watch events

Cons

a lot of standing required during shifts

UnitedHealth Group2020-05-15