Stanley Black & Decker Reviews | Glassdoor.co.nz

Stanley Black & Decker Reviews

Updated 12 Sep 2019

Found 1070 reviews

3.1
Stanley Black & Decker CEO James M. Loree (no image)
James M. Loree
Pros
  • "Great people Good benefits Ups and downs like any other organization(in 46 reviews)

• "Good company with responsible positions for work life balance(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  1. "SAP Master Data Lead"

Former Employee - SAP Master Data Leader in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Environment to work for

Cons

Lack of processes and lack of skilled people.

Stanley Black & Decker2019-09-12
  2. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Materials Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large company with good benefits and many opportunities for growth.

Cons

Large company also means many moving parts, which means it's sometimes difficult to get things in motion.

Stanley Black & Decker2019-09-10
  3. "Senior Engineer"

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Worklife Balance - New things to learn as company is adopting new changes

Cons

- Lack of leadership in US , who does not trust the team member. Specially when it comes to Technical, kind of a bias for region specific people. For e.g., If you suggest some technical solution to a problem, they will never accept it, but if the same suggestion comes from the people of their own culture (specially US origin), then they will figure out the solution is correct. Overall they does not trust the people... other than US origin. Because of this culture nothing move forward.

Advice to Management

I dont think the advice matter to them. They have done lots of monkey surveys, but still nothing changed.

Stanley Black & Decker2019-09-05
  4. "still a good but struggling company"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Towson, MD
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great People and love working with users.

Cons

Stanley is very good at ringing every last dime out of a brand then moving on to the next acquisition.

Advice to Management

Have some faith in our brands and our loyal users. If you treat the users with respect and the employees they will keep a good thing going.

Stanley Black & Decker2019-09-04
  5. "Generally loved the workplace"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than a year

Pros

Consistent hours and decent pay

Cons

pay not the best and leadership, pretty set in their ways and not listening to the suggestions of others to make things better

Advice to Management

Generate better influx of incoming employees, better pay to hold the good workers, listen to others when trying to make things better

Stanley Black & Decker2019-08-27
  6. "15 years of experience in Embedded firmware development with 8 years of experience in Project Management"

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Towson, MD

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to work, work & family life balance is good, flexible working hours, no boundaries to work

Cons

Low level technology, compensation is less compared to market

Stanley Black & Decker2019-08-25

"Grinder"

Former Employee - Procurement Analyst in New Britain, CT
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity to learn in a high intensity environment

Cons

Total grind, silent office, management doesn't do much for morale. Sourcing & Procurement is viewed as expendable. Other division in the company treated much better compensation and culturally. High turn over. Everyone eventually sunsets to better horizons

Stanley Black & Decker2019-09-06

"Waste Land"

Former Employee - Plant Manager

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some great people to work with, solid collaboration working on interesting products. Free Tools!

Cons

Very poor leadership, running a company following outdated principles. Very top down, not a fun company culture.

Advice to Management

Read a book on "Pull" then do something about all the cash tied up in inventory.

Stanley Black & Decker2019-09-03
  9. "Overall decent place to work at the cost of a lower salary."

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Towson, MD

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits including a makerspace and free classes. Very intelligent co-workers and interesting projects to work on.

Cons

Often need to work 45-50 hours a week during certain parts of development. Salary is not competitive.

Advice to Management

Give more specific timeline for promotions/career paths and encourage employees to take time off after working excessive hours without using up their vacation hours.

Stanley Black & Decker2019-08-17

"Was a great role -- but this company doing digital is unrealistic"

Former Employee - Digital Strategist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good brand & products Great benefits Good people (in our office) Work/life balance & vacation time Fun, challenging work This was one of the best jobs I've ever had -- we were leading an internal digital revolution and working on cutting-edge technologies (AI, IoT, etc). Products were very real, needs and use cases were very well defined, etc, and it was clear the impact that we could have had.... ("Could" being the catch -- see below)

Cons

Poor leadership from CEO Vicious politics at executive level Knee-jerk leadership decisions & reactions to short-term challenges Lots of B/C grade people in senior roles Our entire team in Atlanta got let go after our executive leadership lost some internal political knife fight. Although digital transformation had been a key initiative of the CEO, as soon as there was any budget pressure at all on the... corporation, "transformation" and any long-term thought or planning got replaced by maintaining the company's profit margin and we all got kicked to the curb. Had the team been given support, resources and time, we could have done amazing things. As it is, SBD is now just waiting for someone to come and disrupt their core businesses.

Advice to Management

Stick to decisions! Transforming a 175+ year-old culture takes more than a quarter to accomplish. You were on the right path, but your patience wore out too quickly (or you were too dumb to realize you were making progress), and now you're going the way of Xerox & Kodak.

Stanley Black & Decker2019-08-21