Stanford University Employee Reviews about "beautiful campus"

Updated Jan 24, 2021

Found 218 of over 3,613 reviews

4.4
Stanford University President Marc Tessier-Lavigne
Marc Tessier-Lavigne
Pros
  • "Beautiful campus, intelligent coworkers, culture that encourages professional development(in 219 reviews)

• "good work life balance; good health insurance(in 169 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The cost of living in California(in 191 reviews)

• "Living in bay area as a postdoc with dependents can be tough for the postdoc annual salary(in 126 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "beautiful campus"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Excellent place to work! Keeps you young and lots of great benefits

Jan 24, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, smart co-workers, working with students, beautiful campus

Cons

Cost of living, Can be corporate atmosphere depending on your department, Can be political

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Plan to stay!

Jan 15, 2021 - Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Beautiful campus, intelligent coworkers, culture that encourages professional development. Plan to spend an entire career here.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic - with processes and people stuck in the past.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great environment

Jan 12, 2021 - Instructor in Stanford, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing benefits, state of the art IT dept, beautiful campus

Cons

Extremely liberal and close-minded leadership

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Good experience but impossible to make it work long term

Sep 25, 2020 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

beautiful campus, renowned faculty, great thinkers and speakers, students are awesome for the most part, many wonderful colleagues

Cons

Stanford is decentralized so every department is different, at the business school it's a place for "lifers" and "yes men," change/risk averse, being 35 is "young" here, little diversity on staff, especially at senior levels, brace yourself for frequent microaggressions, the entire faculty senate is white men, low pay for bay area (about half to a third of the market rate for equivalent jobs at any tech company) with middling benefits unless you have kids in college (no fertility benefits, no meals, no WFH set up reimbursements during COVID, pay for parking, etc.), the only folks here long term either have spouses who earn double what they do, or have an outdated cost of living because they bought their house 10+ years ago

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to study

Dec 6, 2020 - Student in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing resources, beautiful campus, intelligent and accomplished classmates

Cons

Far from San Francisco, can be too focused on tech at times

6. 3.0
      Former Freelancer

Beautiful campus, nice staff but low pay, lack of managerial quality and decentralized processes that duplicate effort

Nov 28, 2020 - Lead Technical Business Analyst in San Jose, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Beautiful campus. Most staff are very nice and serve students very well. Students are friendly and many are down-to-earth.

Cons

Many tenured expert academics are placed in management roles without knowing how to manage but have extremely large egos. Many departments run independently which creates decentralization and lack of cooperation and collaboration amongst groups since budgeting is decentralized and thus resources are tightly controlled.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great place to innovate, collaborate

Jan 3, 2021 - Postdoctoral Researcher in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I got to learn a lot from my peers, collaborators and advisors. Mostly everyone is eager to contribute to your project. So it gets finished sooner and efficiently. Beautiful campus.

Cons

Living in bay area as a postdoc with dependents can be tough for the postdoc annual salary.

8. 3.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Felt blackballed out once I stood up to my supervisor

Jan 7, 2020 - Front Desk Administrative Assistant In Grad Housing
      Business Outlook

Pros

Beautiful campus, great staff, everyone who was kind to me was genuine; oh, and using golf carts -- that was a first :)

Cons

Major red flag: Nice towards the beginning of my assignment, though the vibe grew sour once my temp contract came to an end. One supervisor had accused me of having an attitude; however, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, supervisor was talking poorly about residents who required assistance after they left; made slick comments when they weren't around, they questioned where I was at all times even the bathroom (and when I agreed and told them, I still was given lip about it), told not to eat at the desk yet did so at theirs, oh, and also yelled at me to "shut up" while on the phone with a resident which wasn't even their business to begin with. I stayed home for two days after, though it should have been the other way around and I should have been compensated for it. You live and you learn. Tried to leave on a positive note, instead felt retaliated against especially as I transferred desks after that incident. Sucks because another supervisor commended my work and I wanted a permanent position and hoped to at least apply, but with that incident and the other sup's superiority and slandering of my name, that diminished quite quickly. Smaller things: Also, we have to pay for parking there, lame. They have the money for free anything really. Sigh, the drive was harsh too. Especially for only $16/hr at the time.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Beware of Bad Management!

Oct 12, 2020 - Clinical Research Coordinator Associate in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits (including health, dental, vision, commuter, education), beautiful campus, always pioneering new treatments, feeling of making a difference

Cons

Career opportunities -I was promised a promotion to CRC2 for two years in a row that never came. Compensation & benefits -I was always scared to leave Stanford because the benefits are so good. These are the golden handcuffs, but glad I was able to break free. Culture & Values -People are always severely minding their own business, no sense of community, new buildings are always being constructed but you work in the darkest & dustiest corners of the oldest buildings packed in like sardines, serious lack of organization in many departments, principal investigators take on more than they can chew, managers are consistently domineering yet unknowledgeable, feeling that you are far inferior to the doctors you work with and you should never question them. I used to work at a company with an open door policy and talking to the PI was never discouraged like it is at Stanford. Diversity & Inclusion -The one shining spot of Stanford, but every company in the Bay Area is good at this. Management -I was fortunate to have friends in other departments, and was surprised that objectively bad people were consistently put in management positions in multiple departments. People with a lack of interpersonal skills, lack of basic computer skills, lack of accountability, with a healthy dose of righteousness. Work/Life Balance -Stanford does offer programs like the "Be Well" program to encourage mindfulness, healthy eating, and exercise. However, if you don't have a manager who believes in these things, you will rarely take advantage of this program and other programs like it.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Mentorship and Work Life Balance

Aug 10, 2020 - Project Coordinator in Stanford, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance and beautiful campus

Cons

Frowns upon remote working, but still available

Viewing 1 - 10 of 218 Reviews