J D Wetherspoon Kitchen Team Leader Reviews | Glassdoor.co.nz

John Hutson

"Kitchen team leader"

Current Employee - Kitchen Team Leader in Bristol, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

People you work with Flexible job You can Learn a lot

Cons

Very inexperienced workmates sometimes Hard job at times specially city centre pubs Life balance struggle a bit

Advice to Management

Salary should be higher in city centre pubs Gap Salary should be a lot higher for Kitchen Team leader comparing with associates. Some kitchen pubs request an urgent refurbish. Improve pay for bank holidays.

J D Wetherspoon2018-08-30

"Great friends, awful management"

Former Employee - Kitchen Team Leader in Camborne, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Got decent hours Room for progression If you like shifts it’s for you Bonus on performance made a great group of friends

Cons

management get jobs on brown nosing lazy management expect long hours and lots of over time with no extra pay treat staff like they are dispensable management are bullies

Advice to Management

Lead by example Work as a team Needs a total restructure

J D Wetherspoon2018-04-24

"Team Leader"

Current Employee - Bar and Kitchen Team Leader in Nottingham, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is long term employment. Staff usually is employed on full time basis. Busy enviromet all year long. Employees are wonderful and hardworking people from all around the world.

Cons

different shift patterns and plenty of possibilities to work more hours especially hen business pick up around September until end of December.

Advice to Management

Management is well trained which is great to gain knowledge from but I believe that they need to talk to staff little bit more to avoid issues.

J D Wetherspoon2018-01-11
  4. "Kitchen Team Leader"

Current Employee - Kitchen Team Leader in Leeds, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Given the opportunity to progress at a young age and was mentored by excellent managers who care. The next step allows me to attend a catering academy paid for by J.D Wetherspoon.

Cons

Often made to work long and unsociable hours sometimes starting at 4am! Some employees have bad attitudes which brings morale down leading to standards slipping.

Advice to Management

Listen to other managers advice and use feedback effectively. Always maintain a good positive attitude as your attitude will effect you whole teams.

J D Wetherspoon2017-11-13

November 28, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for the positive feedback, All comments will be discussed further in our weekly meetings.

"Kitchen team leader"

Former Employee - Kitchen Team Leader in London, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

Good kitchen stuff... good holiday pay

Cons

PAy no good, we have to pay for food pay for coffee pay for milk pay for water, they pay enough rhey money everything

Advice to Management

There are very rude. And feel perfect but they not , so lazy as well , good money for them just for talk

J D Wetherspoon2017-02-20
  6. "A job that is as good as you make it"

Current Employee - Bar and Kitchen Team Leader in London, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Plenty of hours available- the better your pub performs, the more hours become available. Shifts are usually flexible, and depending on the situation you can often swap shifts with colleagues to make rotas more beneficial. Give and take- if you're willing to help out by staying later and covering shifts, the favour will usually be repaid leading to a more positive work environment. Training- the training schemes are...

Cons

Favouritism- personally I have seen there is a degree of favouritism which leads to some people getting away with behaviour or practise others would be disciplined for. Unsociable hours- with pubs that are open to the public from 8am to midnight most days (not including coming in at 6am to open the kitchen for example) it can be difficult to balance a life around the role. Promotion can be difficult due to space available...

Advice to Management

Generally keep on top of standards, and nip problems such

J D Wetherspoon2016-12-14

January 12, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback will be discussed in our weekly meetings, and I would encourage you to give feedback directly to your manager if you think there are improvements to be made.

7. "Good job if you like the line of work"

Current Employee - Kitchen Team Leader in Nottingham, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, good pay, does not get boring

Cons

Unsociable hours, long hours, difficult if you have a team that is not up to the job.

J D Wetherspoon2016-03-21
  8. "Uhh"

Current Employee - Kitchen Team Leader in Wimbledon, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

If you have other responsibilities, this job works great around them with flexible hours

Cons

Very late and very early starts...horrible customers and flaky staff

Advice to Management

Talk to your staff, don't look down on them

J D Wetherspoon2016-03-15
  9. "Bar and Kitchen team leader"

Former Employee - Bar and Kitchen Team Leader in Leeds, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon for more than a year

Pros

The people that you work with who are in the same position who band together to help through a demoriliseing night

Cons

Everything else the company does not care about you unless your nose is firmly iserted inside various holes of management types. If you want a promotion, dont bother training and working hard, spend your time sociliseing with your higher ups. Get used and abused at a whim with out any thanks, any bonuses are subject to an ever shifting set of rules where even the management dont know what they are from day to day. Over...

Advice to Management

Define your job roles. Be fairer to ALL your staff. Be clued up on the rules and regulations and stick to them so your staff know what their doing and not constantly worrying if their doing their job propperly.

J D Wetherspoon2016-03-15
  10. "Wetherspoons"

Current Employee - Kitchen Team Leader in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great bonuses if you work well. A good company to work for if you really want to go up the ladder, it's easy to get promoted if you work for it. More than minimum wage at most wetherspoons pubs.

Cons

In a busy wetherspoon it is a very stressful environment. Massive staff turnover in busy times of the year like summer holidays and Christmas which can bring the team down, as well as up. Training so many people when busy can be hectic.

Advice to Management

Need more reasons for people to stay. Even better wages would be nice for the busy pubs as we always want to leave as the pay doesn't seem good enough for the stress we are put under, especially in the kitchen.

J D Wetherspoon2016-01-09

January 11, 2016Senior Recruitment & Training Manager

Thank you and I am pleased you enjoy working for the company - we, too are proud of the career opportunities we provide to our employees. Turnover does peak when we employ temporary staff for seasonal roles, and in lots of pubs we recognise the hard work our teams, particularly the ...

Found 11 reviews