EF Education First Reviews

Updated 1 Jun 2020

3.3
EF Education First CEO  Dr. Edward Hult
Dr. Edward Hult
Pros
  • "Great work environment where workers are really valued(in 174 reviews)

• "Competitive salary, good benefit and great people(in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • "Disorganised and long hours over the weekends(in 115 reviews)

• "Very low salary for the amount and quality of work you're expected to do(in 98 reviews)

1. "Amazing culture workplace with autonomy to get creative and run your own business"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity to get creative within your business and encouragement to test initiatives creatively. The workplace and teams are extremely collaborative and open

Cons

A lot of initiatives set forth that are half-baked and don't always come to fruition and low compensation

EF Education First2020-06-01
  2. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Supportive and talented team. - Fun place to work and positive environment. - Good work life/balance. - Overall good place to start a career.

Cons

- Very low salary for the amount and quality of work you're expected to do. - I found it really hard to advance my career or get a raise even after getting good feedback on performance reviews (lots of evasion from management when the topic got brought up)

EF Education First2020-05-26
  3. "Great company with great ambition"

Former Employee - Principal Designer in London, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

EF Really is on top of English teaching and education. Good work environment. Amazing offices

Cons

At times there can be too much bureaucracy, and lack of communication. There is lack of transparency on career progression

EF Education First2020-05-25
  4. "Good for part time work"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First part-time

Pros

Good option for part time teaching experience Good hourly rate

Cons

No real downsides, what you would expect from this type of employer

EF Education First2020-05-26
  5. "Nice Workplace"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

lovely happy working atmosphere. people were kind.

Cons

to be honest, i really enjoyed my time in EF

EF Education First2020-05-24
  6. "Oraganised and supportive teaching company"

Current Employee - Online ESL Teacher in Birmingham, England

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

Gradual pay increase Good support center Promotion form within Flexible hours

Cons

Training does not prepare you for difficult children Minimal obligation from parents/students to show up on time/at all Limited hours available

EF Education First2020-05-19

EF Education First Response

May 29, 2020Engagement and Retention Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to send us your feedback. We’re pleased to hear that you find the UK Center to be supportive and flexible, and that you’re able to grow within the company. We understand that students can sometimes be difficult in lessons, and we’re sorry that you didn’t feel prepared after completing the training. We do have a supplementary Managing Difficult Situations document that may help you beyond your training, so please do ask management if you haven’t received that. Due to the nature of the services that we provide, we do need to understand that students and their parents do require some flexibility with their booking, so we are unable to enforce a mandatory attendance policy. With that said, we will take this feedback onboard, and look for opportunities to improve. And finally, the lack of hours is caused by the lower student demand at the moment. With more schools opening in China, we’re hopeful that the student demand will increase in the coming weeks. Thanks again for your sharing your experience.

7. "A review for you"

Former Employee - English Teacher

I worked at EF Education First part-time

Pros

Good people, productive but chill culture

Cons

The school closed for reasons unknown.

EF Education First2020-05-16
  8. "Great for recent college grads!"

Former Employee - Tour Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity to travel the world, fun work environment, mission based company

Cons

Low pay, long hours, and lots of office politics

EF Education First2020-05-15
  9. "Fun experience, engaging students, low pay"

Current Employee - Online ESL Teacher in Miami, FL

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

The students are really fun. Since they are adults you can actually have real conversations with them and share life stories and experiences, and they are motivated to learn, not forced to. You can schedule yourself. If you like talking to people and are a people person, you will really enjoy.

Cons

The P.A.Y. is sooo bad. At this point in life I expect to be making 1.5 to 2 times their hourly rate, but here I am, accepting this meager stipend. I understand having a probationary period, but 6 months is a long time for someone to work at that pay level and not have any opportunity to vouch for their achievements, performance and work ethic within the first few months. I'm not sure how much they are willing to increase their salary after the probationary period, but the current salary is pathetic. If I didn't enjoy the job, and if the lesson content wasn't created for you, there is no way I would stay here. This is more of a personal con, but sometimes I overschedule myself or see a sub available and take it, and then I burn out. Just only do what you know you are mentally and emotionally capable of doing. Since the pay is so low I try to pick up as many classes as possible, but them I'm exhausted and miserable.

EF Education First2020-05-13

EF Education First Response

May 29, 2020Engagement and Retention Specialist

We really appreciate your candor when giving us feedback. We are so glad that you are enjoying teaching our students. They are the reason we are all here! It’s also good to here that you are taking advantage of the flexibility that our scheduling system provides. The subout system is a great way to pick up more hours, but your right you should only claim classes when you are free and in moderation. The last thing we want is for our teachers to burn out. While EF might not be the highest paying online teaching company in the market, we hope that our commitment to quality, our steady booking, and our determined support staff give you another reason to commit to teaching with EF.

10. "Laid Back"

Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed work environment, travel perks

Cons

Pay is low, long hours

EF Education First2020-05-27