Debenhams Visual Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.nz

Updated 15 Nov 2019

2.8
Debenhams CEO Sergio Bucher
Sergio Bucher
  1. "Alright to work if you love it"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandising Assistant in Watford, East of England, England

I worked at Debenhams full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good experience Creative sometimes Great fashion to work with Good work hours (Watford)

Cons

Wasn't that independently creative as you had to follow guides from head office A lot of heavy lifting

Debenhams2019-11-15
  2. "Okay"

Current Employee - Visual Assistant in Blackrock, Dublin
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Debenhams full-time for more than a year

Pros

Okay salary, gift card on Christmas

Cons

We had no team. Just one person as Visual. Management could be improved and need more staff

Debenhams2019-09-14
  3. "Unprofessional Catty bad management and lazy communication"

Former Employee - Visual Assistant in Leeds, England

I worked at Debenhams part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good discount Good breakfast and cream tea Convenient locations Some job freedom Good shift times

Cons

Lazy communication Senior management can’t seem to work out why their staff don’t respect them after they look down on them, talk trash behind eachothers back and take extra long coffee breaks Believe a ‘rota’ on the wall is good communication but yet to see my manager throughout the whole day Incapable of taking charge of any bad decision made by themselves Negligent to their staff

Advice to Management

Just because you have experience in retail doesn’t mean your a good manager

Debenhams2019-09-22
  4. "Enjoyable"

Current Employee - Visual Assistant

I have been working at Debenhams full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very creative atmosphere. Management team, for me, are approachable and friendly.

Cons

Not a whole lot of room for growth in visual.

Debenhams2018-03-17
  5. "Generally good"

Current Employee - Visual Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Debenhams full-time for less than a year

Pros

Always work to do, fast paced, pleasant team. Appraised for the work I complete in store working on pelmets, mannequin displays. Good positive feedback and critical when it's needed. A fair place to work

Cons

Hierarchy structure can make you feel unimportant, some miserable staff take unneeded tones with you sometimes makes me angry, expected to do a million things at once. Would like to be paid £8.50

Debenhams2017-07-28

"Over worked! under paid! No recognition"

Visual Assistant in Lichfield, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Debenhams

Pros

Freedom to be creative, head office support visual team through social media

Cons

Poor management, expect staff to come in early finish late and change shifts as and when they wish. If you do not change shifts or work extra you then suffer with mistreatment. Workload is humongous and pay does not reflect it at all. Visuals have a huge responsibility and do not get recognised. Short staffing is a huge issue, this dramatically effects customer service, and other roles. I am often asked to support sales advisors due to short staffing. Favouritism is a big factor also, and rules are not consistent. Management think debenhams should be your life, there is no work home life balance. Holidays are never authorised and rotas are never up to date despite this being in your contract. I've noticed staff writhing other stores as well as my own are willing to bring others down in order to gain progression. Progression is promised but never materialises. Accounts opening is the only focus and there are no incentives for other departments. Internal processes are not great, hr aren't as supportive as they should be. Directors and regional visuals take credit however never visit the store. My regional visual visits rarely, maybe twice a year. Reviews/appraisals also never happen I had to beg daily for mine. The list goes on! Stores also get favouritism, some stores get more budget than others. Some stores have shabby fixtures and fittings others have millions invested. Model store is too political and set up!

Advice to Management

Stop favouritism. Show appreciation and recognition. Encourage progression and development. Be honest and not become involved in childish behaviour. Provide incentives. Stop being so powertripped.

Debenhams2016-04-13

"Vm"

Visual Assistant in Hanley, England

I worked at Debenhams

Pros

learnt a lot about my job and met good people. Had a good time over four years. But couldn't get full time.

Cons

were not loyal to staff when it came to hours and contracts. Alot of people have left over the last year due to things not being so great

Advice to Management

be more loyal to staff who try hard. Part time contracts are not always good. Give good feedback to staff never really had any feedback compared to what i do at new position. When staff go to bolster at other new store openings. Actually pay them for the extra time. Not time in lou that never gets put on the system!

Debenhams2015-10-09

"Expect too much and give back nothing."

Former Employee - Visual Assistant

I worked at Debenhams part-time for less than a year

Pros

I gained a lot of experience working for Debenhams

Cons

Bad pay. Bad management. Training not sufficient. Unrealistic expectations for what amount of work can be done within a certain time frame. Lack of respect. Expect a lot of overtime. Managers turning up late to open.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with more respect. Actually listen to employees. Come to terms with the fact that sometimes things cannot be completed in the small time frame that is given.

Debenhams2015-01-12
  9. "I have worked in the harrogate and leeds stores in two job roles for over 6 years."

Former Employee - Visual Assistant in Leeds, England

I worked at Debenhams full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best thing about working for Debenhams is the people I have met. In the Harrogate store everyone worked as a team and health and safety was a priority, I found this was different in the Leeds Briggate store. Debenhams can be flexible with your hours dependant upon your position and the discount is fair.

Cons

The pay doesn't justify the responsibilities the job requires especially in a visual merchandising role. Generally the organisation of most stores is poor and employee safety isn't fully enforced. Not enough benefits are given as incentive for employees to work and there are problems in the management structure. Better product training should be provided to staff as for a company who sell so many different types of stock, the knowledge isn't good enough which means poor customer service is provided. Been under-staffed is also a huge issue.

Advice to Management

Management should work closer with their teams for a positive relationship and there should be better opportunities for career development and training.

Debenhams2014-07-09