BKA Content Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2022

Found 22 of over 82 reviews

4.1
BKA Content CEO Greg Secrist (no image)
Greg Secrist
Pros
  • "They also have contests, incentives, and even charity work they regularly invite the writers to participate in(in 13 reviews)

• "Editors also provide good feedback and are open for questions/responses regarding their comments on assignments(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Hourly pay depends on how quickly you can get the work done right, since writers are paid per piece of content(in 9 reviews)

• "5 cents per word and they claim you can get on higher paying teams(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Family Atmosphere and Respect for Writers

Jun 11, 2022 - Freelance Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay at BKA is decent for beginning and experienced writers. What makes it stand out from other freelance writing opportunities I've seen is the respect they show writers. Unlike other places where the client can treat writers pretty poorly, BKA often takes the side of writers if there's confusion over style issues or poor instructions from the customer. This is refreshing. Managers are also very friendly and encouraging, as is feedback.

Cons

The pay is right in the middle for freelancing. It's not as high (2 to 3 cents a word on average), but I'd have to say that the positive environment more than makes up for it unless you're accustomed to 6-cents-a-word gigs.

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Training is a little harsh; need to be a really good writer to get through training

Apr 12, 2022 - Content Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you are, let's say, a standard blog writer (which gets paid roughly 3 cents per word), then you can make a decent amount of money on the side if you are fast enough.

Cons

Training is very strict and they penalize you significantly if you make one simple mistake when following the style guide for an article. Simply formatting one heading the wrong way can fail you completely.

BKA Content Response

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback in regard to how strict the style guide requirements may be and are actively working to standardize the process to be more consistent. We are also constantly auditing style guides that may require additional work to make sure requirements match the rate. If you know of any specific style guides you feel are problematic, please reach out directly so we can take a look and potentially make adjustments.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Exactly What I Need Now

Apr 10, 2021 - Content Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easy application process; Great communication from the management team; If you have a good writing style and follow the specific style guides you will get offered extra team for extra work; Pay is transparent (1.5 cents per word, with a total payout for each article) it is totally possible to make $18-27/hour once you get into the swing of things. Depending on what team you work for, each article has a total payout listed for the article. I'm not sure if you get more for extra words (they don't want you to go over 50 words from the limit, e.g. 700 max for a 650-word article). They payout to Paypal every 2 weeks.

Cons

Not really a con - you must have a good grasp of writing and self-discipline to work from home. I really find a premium Grammarly subscription is very helpful and speeds up the work and improves the final product - it has already paid for itself.

VP of Business Development

Thanks so much for the review! We agree that Grammarly is a great tool to help with writing within the system currently. :) Also, we'd love to hear more from you about your experience writing and any tips you have for making it easier for new writers that may not understand what is expected. I'm sure the manager you work with on your current writing project could use that feedback for new writers coming on to help. Thanks for all the hard work and for the feedback!

4. 5.0

Flexible and Pleasant Remote Writing Gig

Feb 28, 2021 - Contractor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Plenty of work opportunities, assignments clearly spelled out and a positive vibe from supervisors.

Cons

Multi-month wait for application response.

VP of Business Development

Thanks for the review and we appreciate the feedback! I know sometimes the delay from application to a response depends on our writing team availability but we'll pass this on to the training/onboarding team to see if we can improve that experience going forward. Please reach out if you need anything else!

5. 4.0
      Former Employee

Nothing

Jan 16, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very good keep going as always

Cons

Nothing much as it good through

6. 5.0

Bulk LV SEO

Dec 28, 2020 - Copywriter in Melbourne, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is helpful that there is a consistent amount of work

Cons

The pay rate should be higher

VP of Business Development

Thank you for your review! I previously responded to a similar review, so I'll leave that response here as well since I know we have some built-out resources available to help speed up writing for this specific team. :) As far as pay is concerned, we do have some constraints on certain writing teams based on the price we are able to contract with our clients (and the work/quality level required), but we do occasionally have positions open up on other writing teams that may have a higher starting payout than what you're currently on. Reach out to Shaundra, Cara or Amber and they will point you in the right direction if there are positions available. They can also offer tips and guidance to help speed up your writing on your current teams to help increase the amount you can make per hour. Hopefully that helps! Either way, we do appreciate your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to leave it on here.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Decent place to get foot in the door

Sep 16, 2019 - Content Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you’re looking to get into content writing, it’s easy to apply and get hired. Flexibility with amount of hours worked if you’re upfront about availability

Cons

Pay is meager. They can be harsh about accidentally missed deadlines and put you on probation, even though they pay like crap. Many articles require somewhat extensive research. Not even remotely worth it for the pay; should only be done for experience.

4 people found this review helpful

VP of Business Development

Thank you for your review and for spending time with us. We appreciate the feedback and will continue to look for ways to improve.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Freelance Company!

Dec 13, 2017 - Freelance Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been with this company for over two years now. They were the first company that would hire me once I graduated from journalism school. I love that I can set my own pace, and if I need to stop writing for a bit to handle daily life they are very understanding and hold a spot for me when I come back. The work is not difficult, the editors are understanding and the company likes to keep workers up to date with weekly emails. I really appreciate that I can do this in addition to a full-time job without getting overwhelmed.

Cons

The only thing I can think of is that the pay isn't the greatest, however I have seen that to be the case with many freelance writing jobs, and for a job you can do relatively easily in your pajamas at home, it really is great.

6 people found this review helpful

VP of Business Development

Thanks for the review! And we can't wait to see where your journalism career takes you. We appreciate you letting us be a stop along the way!

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic place for writers to work from home

Jun 27, 2017 - Writer in Philadelphia, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love BKA. I'm actually surprised to see several negative reviews. I've been with them for almost three years now. They've provided plenty of guidance and support along the way. I've always received pay on time without delay and there is usually more than enough work to go around. The pay may seem a bit low at first, but as you get familiar with the training pages, you can easily make $18-$20 an hour. Some articles may be more challenging than others, but writers have the opportunity to select what they want to write about in most cases. I'm on one of the managed teams and our articles are assigned to us, but I've enjoyed learning new things about topics I normally would not have selected myself. With that said, it may not be for everyone, but it is certainly perfect for me. I can make a living from home while taking care of my two children. I'd also like to say that I read someone else's review where they said they were let go after doing just a few articles... it's important to remember that when you first get started at BKA, you are in training. There is a chance this person may have been able to take a few articles as part of the training process, but if they did not pass or complete that training, they were probably let go for that reason. I simply felt the need to clarify that because I've never heard of BKA just letting people go after "using" them for a few articles. They're very transparent and that is what I love about working for them as well!

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say.

7 people found this review helpful

VP of Business Development

Thank you for everything you do!! We appreciate your candid review as well as the clearing up of some possible other miscommunication with writers who've reviewed in the past. If ever there are areas you would like to see us improve, just send feedback to a member of the management team. You rock!

10. 2.0
      Former Employee

Not worth it.

May 5, 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

You do get to work from home.

Cons

Low pay that doesn't get any better. They'll take you on for a short time, have you write for a penny a word, and when it comes time to move up, you might get let go instead. Even after following their content guidelines, I was still let go. Most content writers in the copywriting business make $25 on the same post that they're paying you $5 for.

10 people found this review helpful

VP of Business Development

Thanks for your review. We're sorry you felt that your experience with BKA wasn't satisfactory! We do need to clarify though that we don't pay out a single cent per word for any of our projects. The majority of our writers are making between 2-3 cents per word on the entry level teams and as specialty projects come in, pay is adjusted based on the project. We do appreciate you trying us out and we wish you the best in your future copywriting endeavors.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 22 Reviews

BKA Content Reviews FAQs

BKA Content has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 82 reviews left anonymously by employees. 51% of employees would recommend working at BKA Content to a friend and 52% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, BKA Content employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at BKA Content. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

51% of BKA Content employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated BKA Content 4.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.6 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with BKA Content Job Seekers