Rockstar Games Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.nz

Rockstar Games Interview Questions

Interviews at Rockstar Games

2.7

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (Boston, MA (US)).

Interview

I applied online through a job seeking portal. The next day I was contacted and ask to complete a technical design test in 24 hours. The technical part of the test was exceedingly easy for anyone with even a basic knowledge of game programming, while the design part was a lot more subjective. A few days after I completed the test and sent it back, with a request for feedback on the test regardless of whether I passed, I was contacted again and told that they thought I "would not make a good fit". I e-mailed them back and thanked them and again asked for feedback, but never got a response.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question on the test was to write a simple Finite State Machine for a door control AI.   1 Answer

Technical Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rockstar Games.

Interview

Pretty standard. Kicked them a resume, got a design test, then a phone interview. The phone interview was relatively quick, just running down the resume and making sure I wasn't a complete fraud essentially.

After that was an on-site interview, which had a design and a tech section on a whiteboard. Also pretty standard. The whole thing lasted maybe three hours.

Interview Questions

• All the technical stuff was psuedocode, and most of the problems were gameplay related, programming interactions that pretty directly impacted gameplay.   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (Boston, MA (US)) in December 2013.

Interview

I applied online and they responded by e-mail the very next day. Sent a skills test that I had 24 hours to complete. The test was fairly easy, very basic programming questions, it took two hours at most and I was confident in my answers. I sent it back and received a generic rejection the same day. When I asked if they had any feedback, I got no response. A little annoyed that I spent the time on their test for seemingly no reason.

Interview Questions

• Use pseudocode to write a state machine that opens/closes a door based on whether it's locked or not.   Answer Question

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (San Diego, CA (US)) in September 2011.

Interview

First I received an email questionnaire with some technical programming questions. The first few were easy college stuff. The second few were tougher.

Next was a phone interview. They explained some of the company structure and some basic programming questions were asked.

Next was an onsite interview. They were willing to fly me but I was nearby so I drove up instead. After a quick tour of the offices, a few different teams rotated interviewing me, each focusing on different types of questions. Some math questions, some programming.

Interview Questions

• Find the intersection of a ray with a triangle.   Answer Question
    • Describe an entity management system that avoids dangling pointers.   1 Answer

Graphic Arts Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (San Diego, CA (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

Got a call and made an appointment for a couple of days later. Met with all the senior managers and got a tour of the office. Got asked a few technical questions and also a few question about by current employer at the time. Very friendly and informative people. Got an offer on the spot and got follow up calls on a timely manner.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions about the specific position I was applying for.   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (Carlsbad, CA (US)) in May 2009.

Interview

It might be a special case, but they were in need for more people to finish the game. The interview was panel based. They came in as a group of two people. If you make it to the TD, then you have pretty much passed the interview. Each group will ask you some specific questions they is relevant to them.

Interview Questions

• What is the size of a empty class?   1 Answer

Russian Localization Tester Interview

Interview

It was rather quick procces. It took me only one week since first HR specialist's letter to time of taking test. Everybody was pleasent and cheerful. Thank you for the language translator experience

Interview Questions

• Translation some gameplay phrases into Russain   1 Answer

QA Tester Interview

Interview

I had to answer to a pre_ recorded video. It was not a good experience as you do not get to see any feedback. You are just talking to a screen.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rockstar Games.

Interview

Horrible experience online as only had a minute to answer each question and the timer on the screen caused me to succumb to the pressure, however got through to the next stage and had a great phone conversation with the senior recruiter who made me feel really comfortable and who asked me more about my skills, why I chose to study animation and my professional ambitions

Interview Questions

• Your history with rockstar
      Why would you be suited to this role
      Tell us about yourself
      If you could be a gaming character which and why   Answer Question

QA Tester Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rockstar Games.

Interview

I applied and was swiftly given a video interview where I was asked five questions. Depending on the answers to these five questions I was told that it may lead to an interview in person.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is different between Single and Multiplayer testing when regarding QA practices?   Answer Question